437 Squadron History
Peter Henderson teaches history at Douglas College in New Westminster,
These two histories of Canadian military air squadron units follow the pattern of others published in recent years, in that they give essentially popular accounts of the formation of these units during World War II and their subsequent activities.
434 Squadron was formed as a heavy bomber squadron in 1943, and it acquired a distinct connection with Nova Scotia because of the large number of Maritimers among the original personnel. In 1952 it was reborn as a fighter squadron, in which role it continues, presently awaiting the new CF-18 aircraft.
437 Squadron was formed as a transport squadron and has continued in that rather less glamorous function although carrying some important passengers. Its most recent work, however, has been in sophisticated refuelling techniques.
Both books are well written and well illustrated, and both are of value to the enthusiast of Canadian military aviation history, as well as to anyone connected with either of the two units.